Frequently Asked Questions

What is the best way to reach you?

Please feel free to call me at (608) 712-9141 or fill out the contact me form.

How do you approach working with schools?

I believe in a problem solving and collaborative approach in working with schools.  As a former educator, I am well aware of how difficult it is to schedule staff and institute programming.  However, as a parent of a child with disabilities, I also strongly believe that all children can learn and succeed.  Most situations have workable solutions that will ultimately lead to improved outcomes for students.  I strive to "think out of the box" and to push for creative approaches to difficult situations.

What happens if there is an impasse and no agreement?

Parents have rights under special education law to request medication, file a complaint with their state or request a due process hearing.  While I can assist with mediation or complaints, I do recommend that parents consult a special education attorney for legal advice.  I am not an attorney and do not offer legal advise to families or represent them in court proceedings.  I am happy, however, to discuss the situation and strategize if seeking legal help is appropriate.

How can I convince the school more needs to be done?

Students in special education must be educated in the least restrictive environment in which they can make adequate yearly progress.  Parents should keep data on the extra help they are providing after school, the longitudinal progress that is being made, and other evidence they have that more needs to be done at school.  As part of my service, I review all testing and school records to determine if the school is meeting its obligations under IDEA.

What are your training services?

I regularly train staff, both in the US and abroad, on the 22q11.2 deletion syndrome through video conferencing and PowerPoint presentations.  These trainings usually last about an hour and include time for questions about a student (if necessary).  In addition, I can do full day training for an in depth look into special education issues and/or the 22q11.2 deletion syndrome.

Is funding available for your services?

Most families are served on a private pay/hourly basis.  However, if you are a family dealing with the 22q11.2 deletion, there is a limited amount of free consulting time available.  To apply for free services, please visit the 22q Family Foundation Website and fill out the application under Education Station.